top of page
Image by Scott Graham

Frequently Asked Questions

Anchor 1
  • What are the services being offered by the Lower Cape Housing & ADU Resource Center?
    Some of services are: Financial incentives, technical assistance, and other resources to eligible homeowners interested in building an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), also known as in-law suite, basement apartment, etc. Resident services to landlords and tenants to promote positive tenancy and long-term rental success Access to the Housing Stabilization Fund for residents who are otherwise not eligible for housing support and are at greatest risk of becoming homeless Access to the online resource library and community training for homeowners, landlords, and tenants.
  • Why do we need additional year-round housing on the lower Cape?
    Additional year-round housing is needed to increase the availability of smaller, more affordable housing units for year-round occupancy, to encourage a greater diversity of population, with particular attention to younger adults and working people, and to allow for aging in place for senior citizens.
  • What is an ADU?
    An accessory dwelling unit, sometimes referred to as an “in-law suite,” “granny flat,” or “basement apartment,” is a housing unit, complete with its own sleeping, cooking, and sanitary facilities, which must be accessory to the main dwelling. An ADU could be located within or attached to the principal dwelling, or as a smaller detached structure on the same property (i.e., an addition to the home, or an apartment above a garage, etc.).
  • What regulations and restrictions apply to ADUs?
    Each town will have their own regulations to follow regarding size limits, setbacks, minimum rental length, etc.
  • Why should I build an ADU?
    ADUs provide important benefits to homeowners, renters, and the environment. ADUs can: Increase the supply of year-round rental housing Enable homeowners to generate income from what is likely their largest asset – their home Be permitted and built faster than a new home or multi-unit building Be built within existing wastewater limitations and with minimal tree clearing Optimize the use of existing single-family homes, so they blend into existing neighborhoods Create flexibility in home use as a homeowner’s needs change throughout their life
  • How can homeowners learn more about building or financing a new ADU?
    Interested homeowners can call the Lower Cape Housing & ADU Resource Center at (508) 290-0119, e-mail us at
  • What are housing stabilization funds?
    These are funds specifically dedicated to help prevent year-round residents from losing their housing.
  • How do I know if I qualify for housing stabilization funds?
    Staff at the Homeless Prevention Council (HPC) can help you understand and access the right resources to stabilize your housing situation. These funds are available to people who are ineligible for other types of housing support.
  • How can I apply for housing stabilization funds?
    You can sign up by contacting HPC. Call us at (508) 255-9667, ext. 110 or email us at
  • Do I have to wait until I’m behind on my rent or mortgage to get help?
    The sooner you call HPC for assistance, the better.
  • Is this service confidential?
    Yes, all HPC’s services are free and confidential.
  • Are there any restrictions to qualify for these stabilization funds?
    These funds may be available to Lower Cape residents who are ineligible for other types of housing support. You must also be a resident of one of the eight Lower Cape towns: Brewster, Chatham, Eastham, Harwich, Orleans, Provincetown, Truro, or Wellfleet.
  • What are Resident Services?
    For more than 30 years, the Homeless Prevention Council (HPC) has been on the frontline of assisting year-round residents to stay in their homes or find stable, affordable housing. We have found that due to seasonal fluctuations in the availability of work on the Cape, even the most reliable tenants can sometimes fall on difficult times. Resident Services can connect tenants with the resources needed to help prevent them from losing their housing before it happens. As an landlord, these Resident Services can also help you build and maintain a positive relationship with your year-round tenants.
  • How much do Resident Services cost?
    These services are offered free of charge for landlords and tenants.
  • How can I sign up for Resident Services?
    You can sign up by contacting HPC. Call us at (508) 255-9667, ext. 110 email us at
bottom of page